Monday, April 29, 2013

Web 2.0 Assignment

 
My Glogster Page:
I went to Glogster webpage and signed up for a free educator account.   A Glogster is like an online poster.  I created my Glogster titled the "Genres of Literature."  I plan to use it to review and teach students what types of books are in the library and where the books can be found.  Click here to see my Glogster Page.  I enjoyed creating the glog, and I thought it was really easy to use and self explanatory. I do think the students would enjoy the creative process of creating a glog (especially the girls!). However, it did take me quite some time, so I'm not sure it would be feasible with students.  Perhaps, they could begin very simply and the process may speed up the more familiar you become with the site.  Ideas for using Glogster with students include:  author studies, historical figures, creative writing describing a fictional person, and facts about animals.

Animoto:
I went to the Animoto website.  At Animoto, you can create short videos with pictures, music, and text.  I created my Animoto video by highlighting book titles and their literature genres.  Animoto was very easy to use.  I did have trouble previewing my video-- (technical difficulties I assume).  Check out my Animoto video here.  Ideas for using Animoto with students include:  instructional video on types of clouds, labeling a plant, steps in dissecting an owl pellet, or a timeline or the school day activities.

Free Choice:
For my Web 2.0 Free Choice, I went to the Big Huge Labs website. I thought the activities were simple and quick.  I think students would need rules if visiting this website.  Otherwise, they could get distracted and end up losing quite a bit of time here just playing around.  Here are my 3 activities:

1.  I chose the Billboard activity by using this Mother Goose image.  Here is my billboard:

 
2.  I chose the Badge Maker activity by using this Red Riding Hood image.  Here is my badge:
 
 
 
3.  I chose the Trader Card activity by using this Betsy Ross image.  Here is my trader card:
 
 
Ideas for using Big Huge Labs with students include:  making trader cards of famous Black Americans, making billboards using describing words for the picture, making nametags for explorers in Social Studies, and making photo calendars using images of U.S. flags (history).
 


 Concept Map:
Another genre of literature is poetry.  I went to the Bubbl.us website to make a concept map which lists 5 different types of poems for discussion with students.  Ideas for using Concept Maps with students include:  Native American groups and habitats, living and non-living plants, common and proper nouns, factors of the number 24, and parts of a letter.
 
 
These are just a few of the ways students can use technology in the classroom.  Choose one to try out today!
 
Google Reader:
To see my Google Reader reflection (microblogging) post, click here.
 
 
Thanks for stopping by!
Did you have any Web 2.0 tales to tell?  Please share!
 
 
Dana :)

2 comments:

  1. I love all of your wonderful ideas! I am so envious of you...you make it look so easy ;) I like your Animoto. That was my favorite 2.0 Resource tool! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might be an old dog learning new tricks but you did a darn good job learning those new tricks. I like you Badge Maker Activity that you mentioned in this blog post. I will definitely use that site in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete